Thursday, February 12, 2009

Jin-jah?

It has been nearly six months since I completed my contract at SLP. It has been nearly six months since I had a job. I hate this economy. I am annoyed ... I am whining ... and I think I have earned the right to at least whine. Now, granted, I have not been home or unoccupied for six months ... I have been busy with, you know, life things (and I don't just mean my trip - other things for other people too) ... and I am happy to have done them or helped out or whatever ... but COME ON! If I get one more poorly worded, misspelled, generic follow-up e-mail from joeschmoe@thebestcompanyever.net I might go off the deep end and wind up baracaded in my room Howard Hughs style; only in my scenario I will be muttering about temp agencies and cover letters instead of planes for the US Army and wire taps. But the most frustrating thing is that it's not just me going through this, it's all of my friends too. And not only my fellow globe-trotters trying to adjust back to life sans kimchi ... it's practically everyone I know!! I mean, really ... my friends and I are all well-educated, enthusiastic, creative individuals ... somebody, for the love of all things good EMPLOY US!

I've run the gambit from temp agencies to craigslist to resume posting websites and it's all seriously graining on my last nerve. I know everyone is going through this, and you have to make looking for a job a job in itself and that it's tough for everyone blah blah blah ... AND I also know that I have been lucky in the past in that I have come into work very quickly and easily... but even in knowing all of that, it doesn't make this all any less annoying.

I am not kidding - I am seriously considering taking out a full page ad in the Sunday edition of the LA Times showcasing myself and my generic BS cover letter and all that jazz. I believe that I am at what is commonly referred to as my wits' end.



In other news all of this time spent scouring the internet (and pounding the pavement too - no employment seeking cliches have been spared in this job search!) I've spent some time looking into what I actually intend to be my career (and not my just my j-o-b) and reflecting on the preverbial question that presents itself to head-y actors like my friends and myself: Grad School: to go? or not to go? ... more than ever I am leaning towards going, or auditioning at least (not for a year or two of course!) especially since doing my research and getting the details on this program. Never mind that it is likely the most competitive program in the country: I-want-to-go. No small ventures for this sometimes globe-trotter, adventure extraordinaire. Clearly...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

you said it sister.

i'm not even mad anymore, i'm more sad..
well i'm more smad. yes smad. that's what i am.

let's look on the brightside- at least we don't have 14 kids to support like some stupid lady we know of.

ertennyson said...

I legitimately just got an e-mail from Career Builder recommending I apply to be the new supervisor for the graveyard shift at a Cocacola bottleing factory in LA. I mean seriously, are you kidding me? Isn't that how the next Quintin Tarentino slasher movie is supposed to start...